An introduction to the fundamentals of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) that are used to solve complex fluid dynamics problems (weather prediction, aircraft flight, turbomachinery) by researchers, scientists and engineers around the world. The course starts from first principles and you will rapidly develop your first CFD solution using the Excel sheets and Python source code provided. By the end of the course, you will understand the importance of upwind differencing, Peclet number and mesh resolution. No prior experience is required and no specific CFD code/coding experience is required!
What you will learn:
- How to set up and solve your first CFD solution from first principles
- The importance of central differencing, upwind differencing and Peclet number
- A common framework to solve any scalar transport equation in CFD
- Basic vector algebra (dot product, gradient, cross product)
- Basic differential equations
- Basic linear algebra (matrices)