I have tried to summarize most of what you need to do into what I would call, the 5 Golden Rules of running a manufacturing operation. These I have learnt, not only from the Brewing and Beverage Industry but from all the experience I have gained since qualifying as a Degreed Mechanical Engineer and was let loose into the world.
Although this course is not set out in levels of importance, I view this as having to utilize all of these rules together and the reasoning is simple. Together they make sense!
The 5 rules are as follows:
1. The Perfect Plant will only produce Products. Nothing is wasted: This aims to change the normal mindset that waste is part of the process. This cannot be further from the truth, i.e. if you sweat your inputs properly, then your waste and environmental impact will be minimal.
2. Some good reasons why Blaming the machinery is not such a good idea: The Saying “Bad Workers always blame their Tools” is so apt in the industries I have worked in. This section looks at the impact the 6 M’s have in an operation and what little impact the Machines on their own actually have!
3. Good CLeaning and Lubrication normally solves 90% of all problems. Not only would this be a major safety issue, but also can contribute to much less downtime as challenges will be quickly detected and repaired.
4. Walk and Listen to your Plant: Visibility is key as is the fact that you can pick up machine trends in your subconscious mind even with wearing PPE. Well, that is what I and many of my team members have found.
5. Always Challenge Paradigms: If you have been doing the same thing for 20 years and never questioned it, then it is high time you do!
The above can be applied to any industry and will produce results.